Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Gift of Money

Wow, I had no idea money was a gift. Strange since I’m a missionary and I live off others ‘gifts’. Don’t get me wrong, I’m always thankful for the financial gifts. I just didn’t realize that having the money is a gift, as well. For the last 8 months God has mostly provided the bare minimum, with bonuses here and there. I thought He was teaching me how to be grateful and be a good steward. I thought once I understood it, then He would give me more and I could then do more and better ministry. Yet, He had me start up projects without any money.

I was wrong, money isn’t what will make the ministry better and me do more – God is. My life won’t be easier just because I have money, it may get harder because the more money I have, the more responsibility I have. It will be easier when I trust God more.

I’ve so often seen money as a curse. I’ve seen my family torn up in the name of money. Money isn’t a curse though; it’s what we do with it. It’s our heart attitudes. God meant money to be a blessing. Let’s face it; life is definitely harder without money. By God providing money for the things I need, I don’t have reason to worry about food, shelter, clothes, being able to communicate, transportation and so on and so on. Technically it’s when I trust Him that I don’t have reason to worry, at the same time money definitely eliminates some of the reasons I start to worry. When He provides above that, I get to enjoy some things in life like a nice dinner, a movie, a night out with a friend, traveling, a hair cut when needed, a trip to the chiropractor and much more.

When God provides above this, I get to bless others with my blessing: treating a friend, buying flowers to cheer someone up, randomly giving money, making dinner for my roommates, giving food to the homeless guy who ‘lives’ next door, giving clothes to the beggar who rings my doorbell; the possibilities are endless.

The way I am most blessed to get to spend money is with ministry. I get to pay ladies to learn a new skill, to help them grow and better their lives. I get to buy supplies for cards and jewelry making. I get to give money to other missionaries, who are devoted to helping others. Soon I will get to open a job skills center to help so many more people. And eventually I will train others how to do what I am doing. Through all of this I get to spread the love of Jesus Christ, give my testimony and show how their lives, too can be forever changed. Amen!

Oh Father, thank You for Your gift of finances. Thank you for opening my eyes and completely changing my thinking; let my heart also follow. Thank You that You not only want to show Your love to me, but want to use me to show Your love to others, as well. Oh, to bless others whether they deserve it or not. Give me Your wisdom, knowledge and discernment.

No comments:

Post a Comment