Friday, March 18, 2011

The Gift of Friends

I like friends; I enjoy their love and companionship. My life is not the same without them. At the same time, friendship is a lot of work.

For months now I have yearned to have healthier friendships. To have friends that give and take equally, who love the Lord and follow Him whole heartedly, who know how to have fun and laugh, who allow me to be vulnerable and are vulnerable with me, who are positive and don’t focus on all the drama, who are problem solvers not just talkers, who reach out to the hurting and live to help others, who make the world a better place because they are in it and think the same about me.

I have also longed to be able to be more vulnerable and honest, thus more intimate with others. I long to feel safe and trust more deeply. To be able to give more of me on an emotional level - to not just connect, but to really connect.

Oh what a treasure! A far greater gift, I can think of no other. I’ve been frustrated for far too long. I needed to be in order to see what a gift friendship truly is. I’ve been afraid of being inadequate and not having enough to offer. This is a fear worth conquering and getting over, for on the other side will be a blessing like no other.

No comments:

Post a Comment