Friday, March 25, 2011

The Gift of Health

You don't usually appreciate your health until you no longer have it. I have gone through numerous health issues, some severe, some less severe, some chronic, some situational; all annoying. I had gotten so used to being sick and in pain that I didn't know what it was really like to be in health.

The first day I used my c-pap (sleep machine, which I no longer need - praise God)and got my first night of real sleep I remember waking up the next day so unbelievably energized and happy. Lack of sleep had made me depressed and exhausted. I got soooo much done that day. I remember thinking "this is what it's like to get sleep?". I had no idea what I had been missing out on. I never wanted to go back!

The day I was healed from fibromyalgia I had run to my cabin without thinking. Once I got there I stopped suddenly - it had just dawned on me that I had run. I had difficulty walking too much and hadn't run in years! I couldn't believe how amazing it felt.

I was in a car accident and had injured 1/2 of my body. I spent a couple of months in bed (because that was all I could do) with ice on 1/2 my body. Later when I was at a point where I could start strengthening I took full advantage of it - it felt incredible. It felt so good that I continued working out the entire rest of last year. I even upped the working out to 4x/wk and was doing things I never could before (I just hurt a bit afterwards).

This year I have had quite a bit more pain from the injuries due to it now having been many months since getting treatment and not being done with what I need. Also, from being more seditary and not having kept up on working out. I forgot how good it felt to be in health until I got the flu.

This past flu was a nightmare. I was sick for a couple of weeks with a cold, then it turned to the flu with a very high temp, then bronchitis, then got bit by a spider on my face and had effects from the poison, then got laryngitis and really sore throat and still am losing voice, have a cough and get sore throat and it has been almost 5 weeks. I'm remembering just how much being in health is a gift.

Health is something that God wants for all of us, not because we deserve it, but because He loves us. Ask anyone who doesn't have health and they will tell you how much they yearn for it. God wants to lavish on each of us the gift of health. I know that as I get my health back, I truly, truly am grateful for the gift of health.

No comments:

Post a Comment