Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Gift of Surprise

Doctor Zhivago said, "Surprise is the greatest gift which life can grant us." Why then am I often so busy trying to figure everything out? I analyze and analyze until my head is aching. Often I figure things out, more often, I think I figure things out.

I have to admit when I let go, stop thinking and just let life happen, I am so often pleasantly surprised. I have a Father who loves me, who lavishes me with love and who has plans to prosper me; why would I try to figure out what He is going to do, when I could just step back and let Him spoil me?

I love to be surprised - it brings a huge smile to my face, melts my heart and fills me with joy. I want to learn how to let life take me by surprise more often.

"There is no surprise more magical than the surprise of being loved: It is God's finger on man's shoulder" Charles Morgan. And how much more beautiful is this surprise when you thought that life was nothing but pain and sorrow, when you have gotten so used to desert that you didn't know if paradise really existed? Then you step out of the desert, towards paradise and you look around, discovering that love is all around you. Oh how the heart swells!

Do you know what it is like to be loved and cared for? If we truly look around we can see that God's expressions of love are all around us. Sometimes we just have to look a little harder. Does this surprise you?

"God demonstrates His own love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8 It was not after we made ourselves good enough, not after we got our act together, and not after we cleaned up our lives, that He loved us. It was while we were yet sinners. What a glorious and beautiful surprise!

Now that's what I call a gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment